Thoughts of a Prairie Homemaker

Since I was asked if I blogged I decided to play with it and see what I came up with.This is a collection of my thoughts on a day to day basis. I hope it entertains or enlightens you even a little!

Monday, September 19, 2005

Musings


Something that has been on my mind lately is the amount of modernness (is that a word?) in many bible studies now days. It seems there are so many “experts” on what the bible says that most feel incapable of reading and understanding it for themselves. I hear often the way some folks think, and I want to address some of these things. Please note, I am NOT an expert, I have as many questions for God when I die as anyone else, but He does give us some “rules” for a godly life.

One thing folks talk about is a woman’s place in church. This can be a touchy subject if one uses feelings as a guide. One preacher told me once there were women preachers in the NT. When I asked him who he said read it and see. So I did, I read the NT front to back and reverse, many times. I never have found any women preachers. I did find Peter and Paul both saying women are to be silent in the church. So how can a woman, who is supposed to be silent, be a preacher? I have yet to figure that out, because if a woman is to be silent, she can not talk from the pulpit, period.

1 Cor. 14:34 Let your women keep silence in the churches for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

Also in

1 Tim. 2: Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection.

1Ti 2:12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.

1Ti 2:13 For Adam was first formed, then Eve.

1Ti 2:14 And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

Another area that concerns me is the idea that we must do nothing to accept salvation. Many use the reasoning that works can not save us. Yes this is true, we can not work our way into heaven. How ever I see no bible verse telling us we have no work to do.

Put in ordinary human terms, if your uncle gives you a gift of $100 in a check, can you spend it? Think before you answer. Many folks say yes, but if you take that $100 check to the store, they wont let you use it for payment! You must first go cash the check! The same is true of God’s gift, there are things you must do to accept it. He was sure to write them down, and He never changed the rules! What did he tell us to do? The gift in the check is not accepted until it is cashed.

In Acts 2:38 we are told to repent and be baptized for the remission of sins. Now there are a couple things the people had already done too, they had heard the word of God preached, they believed the word of God they had heard, and they confessed they had done wrong! So that is 5 steps we are given examples of. Now many folks say baptism is not needed, well Jesus saw it differently. In Matthew 3:10 -17 is the story of He Himself, the holy one of God, being baptized, why? According to verse 15 it was to “fulfill all righteousness”. So in this world where we must do nothing but say we accept Jesus, He said He needed to be baptized… if He needed it, then I need it so much more! Now yes there are verses that say Faith saves us, but think about this, if you have Faith, will you not act on it? Remember Faith without works is dead! In James it is stated repeatedly that Faith with out works is of no value, and in James 2:18 it says:

James 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: show me thy faith without thy works, and I will show thee my faith by my works.

If we have Faith, we will have works too, if our Faith be true.

One thing I have said over and over is, I do not believe in religion. Faith is pure and of God, religion is mankind’s attempt to pigeon hole God and make Him easy to handle. The proof? Where does the bible say the rules will change? How many religions change the rules to fit society’s ideas?

For instance, I was raised in the church of Christ religion. Now I was taught mostly to ignore the Old Testament and follow the new, that the Old Testament was done away, but for certain things brought forward, like 9 of the 10 commandments. How ever, in my own study I discovered more things the OT says that were brought forward. For instance our manner of dress is outlined. We are to dress as Sara, and the women of old.

Examples are:

1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array.

And

1Pe 3:5 For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:

1Pe 3:6 Even as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement.

So this shows us the manner of dress from the OT is not forsaken, women must still dress as women. The apostles brought it forward in time so that we know how we are to act.

Many religions now say some of the bible is cultural, only for that specific time or place, but I do not see any verses to support this. I see no verse that says, “if society changes and says wearing clothes and hair that look like the men is ok, then go ahead and forget the verses where I said do this and that.” They just are not there.

One place where this gives religions trouble now days is head covering. Should women cover and keep their hair long? I say yes. Why? Because if you read 1 Cor. 11:1-16 you see specific instruction, and if you really read it; it is clear.

1Co 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

1Co 11:2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.

1Co 11:3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

1Co 11:4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonors his head.

1Co 11:5 But every woman that prays or prophesies with her head uncovered dishonors her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

1Co 11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

1Co 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man.

1Co 11:8 For the man is not of the woman; but the woman of the man.

1Co 11:9Neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man.

1Co 11:10 For this cause ought the woman to have power on her head because of the angels.

1Co 11:11 Nevertheless neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord.

1Co 11:12 For as the woman is of the man, even so is the man also by the woman; but all things of God.

1Co 11:13 Judge in yourselves: is it comely that a woman pray unto God uncovered?

1Co 11:14 Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?

1Co 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

1Co 11:16 But if any man seem to be contentious, we have no such custom, neither the churches of God.

One of the crucial verses is this one, “For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered” Putting it in today’s American it says, if a woman is uncovered let her hair be cut off. Now for those who say a woman’s covering is her hair, why would Paul say this? It makes no sense to say, now if a woman has no hair let her hair be cut off…

Some point to the verse that says judge for yourselves… but the verse AFTER it says does not nature tell you about hair? If a man has long hair it is a shame for him, it is therefore not a shame for a woman.

Others go to the verse that says, there is no such custom in the churches, however the verse indicates that the “custom” is not covering, but being contentious!

Yes women are to cover, if we are to pray, especially if we are teachers of women!

It is apparent in verse 2 that Paul had given them these and other ordinances before this letter.

There are many truths in the bible, but to get to them we MUST obey the verse in 2 Timothy:

2 Ti 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that need not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2Ti 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.

In other words, do not take my words for it, study God’s word for yourself, and don’t take the word of preachers, teachers and experts either, study God’s word for yourself. Always remember, God would not waste His time to give us commands we do not need to follow!

Hugs y’all have a blessed day, I hope I have given you some things to think over!

mel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home