Thoughts of a Prairie Homemaker

Since I was asked if I blogged I decided to play with it and see what I came up with.This is a collection of my thoughts on a day to day basis. I hope it entertains or enlightens you even a little!

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Good news! And on my mind


First of all, the good news! My boy wrote me again! He is doing fine, still wants out but says if that is not possible, at least the Marines will be a life. He has requested a packet of paper, pens, stamps and a small address book with every ones addresses in it. It was nice to hear him talk normally again!

There is a lot on my mind lately. Right now I am in the process of deep sweeping my house, you know, under couches and beds and such. Today I redid the pc plugs in my room and moved my sewing machine around. I also hung (via staple gun) some curtains.

I also stapled a huge (king-size) bed spread to my .25c rocker, trying to cover up the ‘70s golden and orange stripes. I am not sure I like the affect, but it is better than having miles of spread around the chair! Until I figure out something else to do, it will stay. I love staple guns, so handy, and duct tape, gotta have duct tape!

Later this evening I plan to go do some weeding and watering. I need to give my yard some more attention! A big tractor came and mowed down the jungle next door so now my taller than normal prairie grass really sticks out!

I am wondering if all my money orders I sent out Friday have made it to their destinations too, and when I may expect the ebay things my spending money purchased. I have a letter to write tomorrow to go with some aprons I need to finish, and of course more to write Chris.

I am hoping this weekend to find the material to make my first dress out of, or skirt, I can’t decide which I will try first. Gerrie, one of my best buddies says I will soon be addicted to sewing! I am already addicted to planning what I want to sew!

One of my goals this weekend is to get the yard mowed. I am tempted to do some of it myself but I always get yelled at for it, the guys say it is their job and they do not want me helping… I also need to get some vinegar or round up to pour on the sticker grass!

I love this area; I will like it better once we have the jungle under control. I still need to decide what to do with the chicken coop. I may move it up a bit closer to the house and redo it so it becomes a potting shed… there is enough fence around it… painted a horrid orange but still its there, to cross almost ½ the back of the yard, and probably enough rolled fence next to MJ’s shed to make it the rest of the way, that is also on my fall agenda, to get us fenced. There are some big dogs that get let loose on occasion and I am not fond of them getting in my yard!

Not sure what I will do as far as the garden. Right now I am thinking work slowly over the fall and winter on making raised beds in the side yard. I have some old bricks I could use to make at least 1, and a raised bed with black paper under it would cut down on the weeds and sticker grass.

Well it is noon and I am behind on my 15s! Though I only need to work a little in the kitchen and bathroom and do one load of laundry today so it will take no time to get done! I also need to wash more of the freecycle jars and find a spot for them!

Y’all have a wonderful after noon!

Hugs

mel

3 Comments:

  • At 3:08 PM, Blogger Meredith said…

    Praise the Lord! I'm so glad you heard from your son.
    Don't forget you can use sections of newspaper to kill the grass where you want a flower/veg bed in spring.

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger Jenn said…

    Hi Mel!

    So glad you heard from your boy! And Gerrie is right! You will become addicted to sewing. Especially if you have the time to do it. I suggest a skirt--no sleeves! lol!

    Jenn (QueenMommy)

     
  • At 7:27 PM, Blogger ~Kayla~ said…

    I LOVE jars! Just got all of mine sterilised (big long process for me when they are second hand!) and put away! Have you gotten your patterns yet?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home